One of my favorite vegetarian sandwiches is this portobello and eggplant burger. Try this:
1. For the eggplant, slice the eggplant with skin on crosswise, and rain salt on both sides. Set aside on a paper towel. The salt will begin to extract the liquid from the eggplant. Let set for at least 30 minutes. While this is happening,
2. Pull the stem off of 6 Portabellos, and scrape the ‘gills’ away with the back of a spoon.
3. Make the marinade: smash some garlic cloves with the side of a chef knife and put them in a medium size bowl with one cup of olive oil and 2 cups of balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Squeeze excess liquid away from the salted eggplant and set to marinade with the mushrooms overnight.
5. After 24 hours, preheat your grill. make sure when you remove the marinated ingredients to squeeze the excess oil off to prevent flare-ups. Gill both sides and assemble on a bun:
6. Sliced fresh Mozzarella, sliced plum tomato, the eggplant, portobello and some greens of your choice.